* Aberdeen & APG * Abingdon * Bel Air * Belcamp * Edgewood * Emmorton * Havre de Grace * Joppa * Joppatowne * Perryman *
District 34, Harford County
FY17 Local Management Board Awards from the Children’s Cabinet Fund June 20, 2016
Harford County Department of Community Services Local Management Board $482,994
• Local Access Mechanism – The program will consist of family navigation services in which a legacy parent works to empower other families through the individual family-to-family support, education, advocacy, resource referral, and follow up.
• Teen Court – This program is offered as a positive experience to divert a first time teen offender away from a pattern of criminal behavior. Serves youth between the ages of 11 to 17 who have committed a minor criminal offense. The Harford County Sheriff’s Office Youth Services Division operates the program as a diversion plan to prevent certain juvenile cases from being forwarded to the Department of Juvenile Services and allows offenders to serve-out sanctions handed down by a jury of their peers.
• CINS Prevention – Children in Need of Supervision (CINS) prevention serves elementary-age and middle school youth that have been identified as exhibiting disruptive behavior or presenting behaviors such as acting out or withdrawing at home, in school, or in the community. The focus of the program is to intervene early when the identified issues are more amenable to intervention. The program promotes parent engagement in their child’s education, which in turn increases improved family functioning and school attendance.
• CINS Diversion – The goal is to provide services to students that will decrease their likelihood of any or further involvement with the Department of Juvenile Justice, Department of Social Services, avoid an out-of-home placement and improve their overall well-being. Students and families served by the program need individualized services which are strength based, comprehensive, culturally competent, and empower the student and family to make positive, sustainable changes. A support group will also be open to all students enrolled in the school that have been impacted by incarceration. Coping skills, strengths building, and family systems will be discussed to help support the student whose parents is incarcerated and also provide support to their caregiver.